Posted by: garmin_geek
N 37° 31.856 W 079° 06.117
17S E 667707 N 4155465
Quick Description: Viginia Historical Highway Marker R-21
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 6/27/2010 8:39:27 PM
Waymark Code: WM94KG
"Nearby stood Rucker's Chapel, one of the first Anglican (present-day Episcopal) churches in Amherst County. Also known as Harris Creek Church and later as St. Matthew's, the church was founded by Col. Ambrose Rucker before 1751. It stood on part of a 5,850-acre tract his father, John Rucker, patented in 1745. The church served its congregation until 1847, when the members moved to Ascension Church, in Amherst. Logs from the chapel were later used to construct a corncrib at Sweet Briar College, two miles north."
Marker Number: R-21
Marker Title: Rucker's Chapel
Marker Location: U.S 29
County or Independent City: Amherst County
Web Site: [Web Link]
Marker Program Sponsor: Not listed
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.