"Golden" as the golden gate
This truss bridge now sits well sedate.
Swung when steamships plied the waters
Full of tourists, sons and daughters
But now travel's by car or air
(Or historic train 'scursion affair)
No need to turn, it straddles the straight
Welcome to Carcross, tourist mate!
The White Pass & Yukon railway bridge was the site of the driving of the Golden Spike to celebrate completion of the railway on July 29, 1900. Though it doesn't swing any more, this truss bridge handles pedestrian and WP&YR excursion train traffic. It was restored in 1998.
Great Scenic Railways Journey (visit link
The White Pass and Yukon Route rail bridge over the strait between Bennett Lake and Nares Lake in Carcross, Yukon The swinging or turning bridge at Carcross was only used a few times to let steamers out of Lake Bennett and has not opened since.
Rails North WP&YR Railroad - Bennett-Carcross Line
MP 67.2 - Rebuilding the Carcross Bridge (#67A) in August 1998. Wooden pilings were replaced with steel, new decking was installed, and the supports and pilings for the old swing span were removed.
Interesting notes on building the pedestrian bridge that runs along side: (visit link
) (pedestrian bridge building)
Carcross Railroad Bridge
Status: in use
Location: Carcross, Yukon, Canada
Structural Type: Truss Bridge
Function / usage: Railroad bridge [railway bridge]
More images can be found at
The White Pass & Yukon Route railway ran through Carcross from 1900
until 1982. The town site of Carcross was laid out and surveyed for the company in 1899 and the rails still run down the centre of the main street. A major fire destroyed the downtown core in 1906 and the present Carcross train depot was built in 1910. The depot is a designated Canadian Heritage Railway Station and operates as a Visitor Reception Centre with local history exhibits. A warehouse behind the depot stored freight that was carried by the sternwheelers and gas boats running on Tagish and Bennett lakes. The warehouse now houses the Koolseen Heritage Centre. The Carcross swing bridge was rebuilt in 1998 and the supports and pilings for the old swing
span were removed.