A statue of Alexander Stephens stands nearby a small fenced in plot containing A H Stephens and Linton Stephens.
This tablet is a tribute from the Old Guard to the memory of their departed friend Alexander Hamilton Stephens
Patriot and Statesman
Vice President of the Confederate States of America
Born February Eleventh 1812
Died March Fourth 1883
His remains rest beneath this tablet
Dedicated October Nineteenth 1913
Lt Col 45 (?) Reg L (?) GA Infantry
Confederate States Army
July 1, 1823
July 14, 1872
the statue text if from the Smithsonian Art Inventory listing:
(On front base of sculpture, foot of figure:) T. MARKWALTER./AUGUSTA, GA. (Front of base:) BORN FEB. 11, 1812,/MEMBER GA. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES,/1836 TO 1840,/MEMBER GA. STATE SENATE 1842,/MEMBER U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES,/1843 TO 1859,/RETIRED FROM CONGRESS 1859./VICE-PRESIDENT CONFEDERATE STATES 1861 TO 1865,/U.S. SENATOR-ELECT FROM GEORGIA, 1866,/MEMBER U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES/1873 TO 1882,/GOVERNOR OF GEORGIA, 1882,/DIED IN ATLANTA, GA.,/SUNDAY MORNING, MARCH 4, 1883./AUTHOR OF A CONSTITUTIONAL VIEW OF THE WAR/BETWEEN THE STATES AND OF A COMPENDIUM OF/THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES FROM THEIR/EARLIEST SETTLEMENT TO 1872. (On right side of base:) "I am afraid of nothing on earth,/or above the earth, or under the/earth, except to do wrong-the/path of duty I shall ever endeavor/to travel, fearing no evil and dreading no consequences."/Here sleep the remains of one who dared to tell the people they were/wrong when he believed so, and who/never intentionally deceived a/friend or betrayed even an enemy."/-Extracts from Augusta speech 1855.
(On left side of base:) Throughout life a sufferer in body,/mind and spirit, he was a signal exemplar of wisdom, courage, fortitude,/patience, and unwearying charity./In the decrepitude of age called to be Governor of the State he died/while in performance of the work/of his office, and it seemed fit,/that having survived parents,/brethren, sisters and most of/the dear companions of youth,/he should lay his dying head/upon the bosom of his people. (On rear of base:) THE GREAT COMMONER THE DEFENDER OF CIVIL AND RELIGIOUS LIBERTY./"He coveted and took from the Republic/Nothing Save Glory."/Non Sibi. Sed. Aliis./Erected 1893. signed
A portrait of Alexander H. Stephens standing with his proper left foot forward. His proper right arm is raised to his waist and he is pointing with his index finger. His proper left hand is resting on a table adorned with a fringed table cloth and two books. The sculpture is mounted on a square base with a three-stepped bottom and a tapered cap piece. The front of the base contains a wreath and a pair of crossed leafy branches in relief. Each of the other sides contains an inscribed, tablet-like projection with a decorated, curved upper section.
Home of Alexander Hamilton Stephens
Property Deeded by Executors to Stephens Monumental Association June 4, 1885, to State of Georgia, December 31, 1932.
Building Dedicated July 18, 1935.
W.P.A. 1936 U.D.C.
Liberty Hall Has been designated a National historic Landmark This site possesses National significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1983 National Park Service United States Department of the Interior
Liberty Hall was the Crawfordville, Georgia home of the Vice President of the Confederate States of America, Alexander Stephens. It is currently a National Historic Landmark maintained by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. Stephens bought the estate in 1845, and lived in its house until 1875, when he tore down the main structure to build Liberty Hall. The two-story "big house" is a traditional 4 x 4 (four rooms on each level).
Many of Stephens' books are housed in a smaller structure behind, where he spent much of his time after the war. After Stephens's death in 1883, Liberty Hall, owned by his surviving relatives, served as a boardinghouse until 1932, when it was donated to the state of Georgia. The vice president's grave is on the front lawn, beneath a marble statue in his honor.
Liberty Hall is now a historic house museum that is part of A. H. Stephens Historic Park, and has been renovated to appear as of 1875. The structure is also known as "Bachelor's Hall", as Stephens never married.