San Gabriel Mission Stations of the Cross - San Gabriel, CA
N 34° 05.811 W 118° 06.399
11S E 397917 N 3773447
Quick Description: These Outdoor Stations of the Cross are located in the Campo Santo Cemetery on the grounds of the Mission San Gabriel Archangel in San Gabriel, CA.
Location: California, United States
Date Posted: 6/13/2010 10:39:26 AM
Waymark Code: WM91C9
The fourth of the 21 California missions founded, it is rich in the history and traditions of early California. The Mission church was built from 1791 to 1805 and became known as the “Pride of the Missions” for its large production of crops and trading of cattle hides and wine. Some of this history has been preserved for viewing in the church, museum, and grounds.
The Stations of the Cross were added in 1940 along with the walls surrounding the Campo Santo Cemetery. (First consecrated in 1778 this is the oldest cemetery in Los Angeles County.) The stations are painted tiles inset into brick and mortar each with metal candle holders on either side of the tiles. The artist names on the tiles are E. Dufolier and W. Dufolier.
San Gabriel Mission has been designated as California Historical Landmark #161.
428 South Mission Drive
San Gabriel, California United States
Open Daily 9a.m. to 4:40 p.m. except holidays
Reference (visit link