Braman, Braman, Oklahoma
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member okgranny49
N 36° 55.392 W 097° 20.075
14S E 648337 N 4087648
Quick Description: This History of Braman Marker is placed on the lawn in front of the Post office in Braman, Oklahoma.
Location: Oklahoma, United States
Date Posted: 6/12/2010 1:53:36 PM
Waymark Code: WM917B
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
Views: 7

Long Description:
This Braman History marker is two sided one side tells the History of Brman and the othe side lists all the businesses and people that ran them from years ago.
The Text is: Braman
When the Santa Fe Railroad was extended from Hunnewell, Kansas to Tonkawa, a railroad promoter named J.W.Whistler chose the midway point as a goodlocation for a town. With B.J.Templeton he bought the 160-acre Sam Garrison farm and platted 80 acres of it as a townsite. Dwight Braman, a surveyor for the railroad offered to survey the land free of charge if the town was named after him. On January 9, 1889 more than 5years after the land run which opened The Cherokee Outlet to homesteaders. The town was incorporated, the citizens of the area donated $3,000 to build the railroad depot. The business district soon had a general store, bank, grocery, meat market, lumber yard, three elevators, implement and hardware company, two saloons, hotel, livery barn, two doctors, and three barbers. The Post office opened April 11, 1898 and the first newspaper was published December 30, 1899. The Masonic Lodge was founded in 1904, by this date four churches, Baptist, Methodist, Christian and Church of Christ had been established. The Royal neighbors and modern woodmen were active.
Every Saturday nightduring the summer there was a band concert and parades were staged to celebrate the fourth of July and the anniversary of the land run. One of the first schools had three teachers and 121 students. A new building which cost $15,000 was dedicated in 1915. It had eight class rooms an auditorium and a gymnasium. A new High School was built in 1926.
With the discovery of oil in the nearby fields the city officals began to modernize the town. Between 1924-1927 an electric light and water sytem was installed, a water storage tank constructed, sanitary sewers built and the highway between Blackwell to Braman paved. Then on May 21, 1925 the Herbert Oil Company Community test well No.1 on the J.H. Belmer tract at the northeast corner of town blew in. Initially the gusher produced 40 barrels per hour form the Tonkawa sand. By June 19 the local paper reported that more than one million dollars had been spent for drilling within the corporate limits of the town. By the end of the first week in June half the town was under lease. Heavy drilling equipment was parked on church yards and on the school grounds. At one time during the year there were 38 derricks on the Braman 25 blocks. The population grew from less than 400 to 5,000 in just 40 days. Business hours were open 24 hours a day. Every room in the hotels, rooming houses, and residences were filled with people camped in parks and along the roadside. In July derricks were built on every available location in and around town. But the Boom was over by Novemeber 1925. The first Mayor of Braman was Bert Payne, John Smith was probably the scond followed in 1924 by Ed "Hog" Miller. In 1927 Horace Kline was mayor, then Hyle Horne, Ed Johnston was elected in 1932 and served the community for 40 years. More oil was found in 1937, but the Boom did not return.

Dedicated May 26,1985 by Cher-Ok-Kan Gateway Association, Founded 1970 Chester and Francine Hasslbring, Mrs. Glen Peel, Mrs. Hope Sober Committee

On the back side of the Marker the test is as follows:
Implements, Hardware & General Merchandise: B.G.Payne, Mr. Jerone, Monyes & Salem, F.Free, H.C. Scott & Sam Garrison, Hugh Hutton, Priboth & Brown, V.C. Van Geison & Collins, Raymond Hutton & Roy Miller, R.T.Peck, D.F.Mooter.
Groceries: L.J.Bibbler, Quince Brown, Hugh Johnston, Moore, Chappel's, W.L.Williams, Garrison & Carter, L.R. Willey, C.H. Lucas & Wommack, George Miller, O.E. Lincoln, Herman Easterday, Reynolds & Symonds, Page & Thompson, Felibles, E.E. Steeves, Homer Trummel, D. Walcher & son, Igert & Hines, Furber's.
Dry Goods & Clothing: Kalif & Waris, Max Gunther: Manning: Tepee Ladies Shop: Mrs. Fair.
Banks: Citizens State Bank, W.J. Whistler, B.J.Templeton, W.A.S. Tough, J.M.Searles, L.W Hamton, D.L. Wetmore: A.O. Via R.E. Burks, Farmers State Bank, William Orr, A.D. Garrison, Ruby Jones, Hugh H. Hutton, H.C.Scott, L.B.Lenker, Aaron Bierbower.
Elevators: H.E. Horne, Lamport & Duncan Mill, Eben & Frank Decker's, Braman Mill, Geo B. Foltz, MGR. Blackwell Mill and Elevator, Deer Creek Elevator, Dick Farrah, Oper., Ed Johnston Feed Store & Produce.
Lumber Yards: Bert & Charles Duncan, Wommack & Hanita: Harry Craigin, C.N. Simmons MGR: Rock Island, Gene Cox, E.R. Franks, MGRS: Rounds & Porter, W.R. Pickering, Ben F. Browning, MGR. Bill& Sam Orr Lumber.
Drug Stores: Yeager & Pulton: City; Haunschild's; Paul Hanson's; Smith's; L.B. Lenker's; Fred H. Bacher; Palace; OGG & McCullough, Worthy Wiles.
Hotels: Buckle, T.K. Ticker, Sante Fe; J.W. Dinnewell, Broadway Hotel with dinning room, Mr. & Mrs. Horace Kline owners, Getters, Braman Hoteel, H.B. Jones, York & West MGRS, Dick & Artie Farrah.
Resturants & Cafes: John & Carrie Rider, American, Sunkist, U.C. Chadwell: Oilman's Cafe; Chilli Bill's Cafe.
Auto Agencies: Reo & Chalmers, V.C. Van Gieson; Fords, J.C. Moore & Bill Doenges; Chevrolets, E.B. Baum Jr.; New Era Cars, A.P. Talkington, Orville Harvee Fords & Cleveland Tractors, John Orr & Clarence Hood.
Service Stations: Miller's; Kelle's; Clarence Hoods; Will Orr's; Taylor and Sheets; A.L. Hampton; Ed Johnston's Broadway Tire Shop, Clarence Pickard MGR.
Phsyicians: Dr. Cooper, Dr. Fisher, C.V. Downs, A.P. Gearhart, S.S. McCullough, W.M. Howsley, Dr. Matthews, John Hudson, Dr. Northrup, Dr. Patterson.
Saloons: Sam Jones, Robert, Roy & Earl Bebb; Sam Brogan
Bakeries:Durham's Confectionary, Showalter's, City, Purity ( Home of Mother's Bread) Edith Johnston's Home Bakery.
Blacksmith's: George Oliager, Frank & Aul Holt, J.L.Wise, L.C. House
Shoe & Harness Shops; John Felible, John Colville, Goodyear
Livery Barns: Mr. Taylor. Byron Tate, Edward R. Kholer, Steve Rawlings.
Barbers: Mr. Brooks, Archie & Charlei Peel, H.B. Jones; K.C. Barber Shop, Noble & Evans MGRS; G.W.Dutton, John Bloss.
Newspapers: W.J. Krebs, The Braman Star, A.H. Knox, W.C. & H.B. Wallace, James A. Davis,F.M. Colville, E.L. Shanholtzer, H. L. DeVillers, The Braman Leader.
Postmasters: Jery Crowly, Mr. Lambden, Mr. King, Russell Dickerson
Rural Carriers: Ed Atheton, Ed Stevens, Dave & Marr & Mel Dickerson
Depot Agents: Mr. Griswell, H.G. Wells, Walter Matthews, & J.R. Hosey
Miscellany: Lee Rosenberry, Plummer & Produce House, Carl Rosenberry, Driller, Lee Vines Sewing Machine Repair, Jess Hudson Tailor Shop, F.B. Lackey's Enterprise Cleaners, Hemstitching shop & News Stand, Thompson Jewelery, Leham Ice Co. Francis Theatre later the Olympia Braman Theatre, Arcade Billard Parlor, Eader Tent Show, Roses Beauty Shop, Bowling Alley, V.T. Browns Taxi Line & Crystal Water Co., G.T. produce, Henry Wise, Bill & Homer Brown, Wesley's Ha;;, Jeff Murray Draymen.
County: Kay

Record Address::
Broadway Ave.
Highway 177
Braman, Oklahoma United States
74632


Rate the Site:

Date Erected: 5/26/1985

Sponsor (Who put it there): Cher-Ok-Kan Gateway Association

Web site if available: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1 - Must visit the site in person.
2 - New Photo required.
3 - Give some new insight to the marker/site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Oklahoma Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.