Passengers on the Viola - Clevedon, New Zealand
S 36° 59.338 E 175° 02.602
60H E 325872 N 5904561
Quick Description: A plaque in a reserve by the Wairoa River, Clevedon.
Location: North Island, New Zealand
Date Posted: 6/10/2010 8:57:05 PM
Waymark Code: WM90YP
The Plaque reads:-
is to commemorate the arrival
of the passengers of the sailing ship
Erected by the decendants April 1965
Immigration to New Zealand
In 1865 Thomas and Mary SHAW (nee McINTYRE), together with Thomas' brother David, his wife Janet and their children David, Janet, Charles and Thomas, immigrated from Glasgow to New Zealand aboard the ‘Viola’.
In addition, some of Mary's family immigrated with them, including Donald & James McINTYRE, Daniel & his wife Janet, together with their children Marion, John and Peter.
Also on board was John SHAW, possibly a cousin.
Newspaper Report of Arrival
The Southern Cross April 5th 1865
ARRIVAL OF THE SHIP VIOLA
The ship Viola, Captain Mitchell, arrived in harbour yesterday morning from Glasgow, with a large cargo of general merchandise and 340 Government immigrants. She is consigned to Mr. Walter Grahame. The Viola took her departure on the 8th December, and was detained in the chops of the Channel for ten days. Experienced very light N.E. and S.E. trades. Crossed the equator on the 16th January, in 20' 30 W. longitude, and rounded the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope on the 17th February in 40' S latitude. Ran her easting down between the parallels of 42' and 47' S with moderate weather, passing to the southward of Tasmania. Rounded the North Cape of New Zealand on the 27th March, and encountered heavy S. E. gales for three days. Since then fine weather has prevailed. No vessels connected with the colonies were sighted during the voyage. There have been eight births, and twelve deaths.
Settling in Clevedon
In 1852, one of the first European settlers to arrive in Clevedon was Mr Duncan McNicol and his family. In 1865 a further 150 new immigrants arrived from Scotland on the ship ‘Viola’. After landing at Auckland they went by barge up the Wairoa River to Wairoa (Clevedon) where they decided to settle in the Clevedon Valley and the surrounding districts. Originally covered in thick native bush, the settlers cleared the land resulting in many of them being involved in timber milling and gum digging activities. After clearing, the area was used predominantly for pastoral farming, with some horticultural development in prime soil areas.
Website with more information on either the memorial or the person(s) it is dedicated to: [Web Link]
Location: Park beside the Wairoa River, Clevedon
Add another photo of the memorial. You and/or your GPS can be in the photo, but this isn't necessary.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.