Old State House
Posted by: Shorelander
N 42° 21.527 W 071° 03.458
19T E 330548 N 4691663
Quick Description: The Old State House, near the site of the Boston Massacre, in central Boston.
Location: Massachusetts, United States
Date Posted: 3/13/2006 10:17:08 PM
Waymark Code: WM8Z3
From the plaque: "The Old State House, Boston's oldest public building, was built in 1713 as the seat of British colonial government. Here the Royal Governor and the Massachusetts Assembly debated the Stamp Acts and the Writs of Assistance. The Declaration of Independence was first read to Bostonians from the east balcony on July 18, 1776.
The building served as the State House until 1798, and was also Boston's City Hall from 1830 to 1841"
The building now houses the Bostonian Society, a museum, and, in a strangely impressive move, the basement of the building has been turned into a stop for the T. Obviously, State is the best T stop to get off at for this landmark. The Boston Landmarks Commission plaque is located on the western wall of the building, off of Washington St.
On the eastern side of the building is a National Park Service plaque as well. It reads: "...there the child Independence was born.
Built in 1713, the Old State House was the seat of government of the Province of Massachusetts Bay. In this building the Royal Governors, the Colonial Courts, and the Provincial Assembly met before the Revolution, and here the government of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts continued after independence. In the Council Chamber James Otis argued forcefully and eloquently against the Writs of Assistance in 1761. In Representatives Hall John Hancock and Samuel Adams denounced the right of taxation by Parliament. Though no longer extant, the world's first gallery from which the public could watch their government in action was build as the result of a motion by James Otis and Samuel Adams in 1766. On July 18, 1776 the Declaration of Independence was read for the first time to the citizens of Boston from the eastern balcony."