By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Sulphur Springs Church and Campground 1806-1893
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member fatcat161
N 36° 48.369 W 081° 41.497
17S E 438306 N 4073591
Quick Description: Located along 107 about a mile north out of Chilhowie on the right.
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 6/1/2010 1:08:30 PM
Waymark Code: WM8YW2
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member flyingmoose
Views: 2

Long Description:
Sulphur Springs Church and Campground 1806-1893

Across the highway was a log meeting house and campground visited by Bishop Francis Asbury and early Methodist circuit riders. On this site Col. W. P. Thompson gathered his regiment in 1812. Here Elizabeth Henry Russell often worshipped and this was the home church of the Rev. R. Cannaway. The church, brickcased about 1860, was moved to the present location of Chilhowie United Methodist Church in 1893.
Marker Number: none

Marker Title: Sulphur Springs Church and Campground 1806-1893

Marker Location: Chilhowie, Va.

County or Independent City: Smyth Co.

Web Site: [Web Link]

Marker Program Sponsor: Smyth County Board of Supervisors (1977)

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Virginia Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.