From the Florida Division of Historical Resources
"Fernandina Beach BAILEY HOUSE 7th St. and Ash St. 1895. Queen Anne. George Barber, architect. 2 and a half stories, frame, clapboarding, shingle gables, polygonal corner towers, wraparound porch. One of finest Victorian homes in the city. Presently used as a bed-and-breakfast. Private. N.R. 1973."
The following history of this lovely old house is from an article written by Dickie Anderson (visit link):
"What are the origins of this classic "painted lady"? Young Kate McDonell lived with her family in a large Victorian house right next to where the Bailey house stands today. She was the daughter of Augustus O. MacDonell, who was the resident manager of the Florida Railroad, and her grandfather, born on Amelia Island, came from the family who operated the Harrison Plantation at the south end of Amelia Island."
"Kate was a woman who knew what she wanted. She found the house of her dreams in a catalog and her fiance, Effingham, promised to build it for her when they married. Kate's father gave the young couple the lot on the corner of Ash and 7th."
"Kate chose a design by a popular architect of the day George W. Barber. The Bailey House is a fine example of Queen Anne architecture. Its design features a wide variety of architectural elements. It is a feast for the eyes with its many colors highlighting gables, turrets, windows of all sizes and shapes and its distinctive fish scale shingles. Like many of the beautiful Victorian homes in the historic district of Fernandina Beach, local craftsman, many of them ship builders, contributed their talents to the home, which was completed in 1895."