Holy Rosary Cathedral - 3 A 74
Posted by: LSUMonica
N 36° 10.000 W 086° 47.040
16S E 519426 N 4002456
Quick Description: Tennessee Historical Commission 3 C 74 - Holy Rosary Cathederal
Location: Tennessee, United States
Date Posted: 3/11/2006 11:13:44 PM
Waymark Code: WM8TX
3 C 74
Holy Rosary Cathederal
Near here in 1820, the first Catholic Church in Tennessee, was built by Irish Catholic workers then building a bridge over Cumberland River. In 1830 a brick structure known as the Holy Rosary Cathedral succeeded the frame building. Here Bishop R. P. Miles, first Bishop of Tennessee, was installed , October 15, 1838. When St. Mary's Cathedral was built in 1847, Holy Rosary Church became the St. John's Hospital & Orphanage. The site was sold to the state in 1857.
Tennessee Historical Commission
Marker reads the same on both sides.
The Tennessee State Capitol now rests on the site of the cathedral.