Széchenyi Lánchid lions (Buda), Budapest, Hungary
Posted by: btrodrigues
N 47° 29.906 E 019° 02.472
34T E 352474 N 5262415
Quick Description: A pair of lions guarding the Széchenyi Lánchíd (Széchenyi Chain Bridge) near the Adam Clark square
Date Posted: 5/8/2010 4:43:43 AM
Waymark Code: WM8RQ9
Széchenyi lánchíd or Széchenyi Chain Bridge is a suspension bridge that spans the River Danube between Buda and Pest, the western and eastern sides of Budapest, the capital of Hungary. It was the first permanent bridge across the Danube in Budapest, and was opened in 1849.
The bridge was designed by the English engineer William Tierney Clark in 1839, after Count István Széchenyi's initiative in the same year, with construction supervised locally by Scottish engineer Adam Clark (no relation). It is a larger scale version of William Tierney Clark's earlier Marlow Bridge, across the River Thames in Marlow, England.
The bridge was opened in 1849, and thus became the first permanent bridge in the Hungarian capital. At the time, its center span of 202 m was one of the largest in the world. The pairs of lions at each of the abutments were added in 1852. The bridge was given its current name in 1898.
Adam Park Square
Web Site: Not listed
Take a photo of the lion.