Posted by: nomadwillie
N 41° 44.813 W 073° 11.548
18T E 650290 N 4623252
Quick Description: Located in front of the Litchfield Town Hall at 74 West St.
Location: Connecticut, United States
Date Posted: 4/28/2010 8:50:50 PM
Waymark Code: WM8PRG
In 1751 this village was designated the seat of the newly organized county of Litchfield. A locatio on the inland stage routes between New York and the towns of New England promoted a healthy commerce, and during the American Revolution the town served as supply depot of the Continental Army as well as an occasional holding place for Loyalist prisoneers. In September 1780 General George Washington, attended by his aides Alexander Hamilton and the Marquis de Lafayetter, ldoged in this town en route from an historic conference with French allies at Hartford.
Here Judge Tapping Reeve had established the first law school in America in 1784 and in 1792 a pioneering school for the education of females was opened by Miss Sarah Pierce.
By 810 Litchfield was the fourth largest town in Connecticut, buthe then, overlooked by railroads and large scale water-powered industry, the town declined in population for almost a century. Fortunately preserving a large portion of te architecture of her Golden Ag. Here can be seen houses where Ethan Allen, Aaron Burr, John C Calhoun, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Benjamin Tallmadge and Oliver Wolcott, signer of the Declaration of Independenc lived or studied. The village green and the areas of North Street and South Street with the Borough have designated a National Historic Landmark. Points of interest open to the public include the Oliver Wolcott Library, the Tapping Reeve HOuse and Law School and the Litchfield Historical Society Museum and Researh Library. At the Western edof of town are Bantam lake, the largest natural lake in the state, and the Litchfield Nature Center and Museum, O the grounds of the White Memorial Foundation
Erected by the Town Of Litchfield and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Marker Name: Litchfield
Marker Type: Rural Roadside
Date Dedicated / Placed: 1977
Additional Information: Not listed
Visits require a photo of the marker or some location referenced in the text. Please also provide what you've learned about this piece of Connecticut history. Inform us.