Old Stone Prison - Decatur, Texas
Posted by: gparkes
N 33° 13.999 W 097° 35.148
14S E 631765 N 3678044
Quick Description: This house was erected in 1859, by prison labor. The main house was used as a residence of the sheriff while the basement as a jail.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 4/27/2010 5:52:37 PM
Waymark Code: WM8PGW
A marker on the building has the following narrative:
Old Stone Prison
First stone house in Decatur. Erected by prison labor about 1859. Main house was residence of sheriff or deputy. Basement was used as jail. Meals were sent down a dumb-waiter located outside the east end of the house. County sold property in 1888 to A. H. Whitehead. Used as city water works until 1938. Kept as private residence until 1967 when purchased by Wise County Historical Society as museum.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968.