40-128 R.L. Bryan Co. Warehouse
N 34° 00.050 W 081° 02.424
17S E 496268 N 3762248
Quick Description: This warehouse was built in 1913 as the schoolbook depository for the R.L. Bryan Company.
Location: South Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 4/19/2010 9:41:51 AM
Waymark Code: WM8MHA
(Front) This warehouse was built in 1913 as the schoolbook depository for the R.L. Bryan Company. The company, founded in 1844 by R.L. Bryan (1823-1900) and his brother-in-law James J. McCarter (d. 1872), was originally a bookstore and stationery shop on Main St. known as Bryan & McCarter. In 1900 R.L. Bryan & Company merged with the Bryan Printing Company, founded in 1889, to become the R.L. Bryan Company.
(Reverse) In 1901 the S.C. General Assembly, in an effort to improve public education, adopted standardized texts. The R.L. Bryan Company, selected as the statewide distributor, used this building as its depository and warehouse from 1913 to 1973. In 1976 the building was renovated and opened as a restaurant, in one of the first examples of the adaptive reuse of historic buildings in this part of Columbia.
Erected by the Historic Columbia Foundation, 2003
Marker Name: 40-128 R.L. Bryan Co. Warehouse
Marker Location: City
Type of Marker: Building
Marker number: 40-128
A picture of the marker taken by you or specific details of the site.