Daubes’ Store - Ardmore, Oklahoma
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member gparkes
N 34° 10.352 W 097° 07.646
14S E 672588 N 3782870
Quick Description: This store opened here in the early 20th century, closing in 1990 after 102 years of business in Ardmore.
Location: Oklahoma, United States
Date Posted: 4/10/2010 5:18:54 PM
Waymark Code: WM8JMF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
Views: 5

Long Description:
Today this building's store front is in need of restoration. A marker on the front of the building reads:

Daubes’ Store

Daubes’ Department Store was a long time landmark on Main Street of Ardmore.

The original Daube Store was opened in Bowie, Texas, in 1883, and was owned by Sam Daube.

In about 1888, when the Ardmore area was in Pickens County, Indian Territory, and when Ardmore itself was only a crossroads village, Sam Daube came to Ardmore and entered into a business partnership with Max Munzesheimer. Their firm was known as Munsesheimer & Daube and their store was of the pioneer trading post pattern, selling groceries, hardware and implements as well as household merchandise. At that time, the store was located east of where the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway tracks now run. Because of its construction, the store acquired the name of the Iron Store, and to all the early settlers from far and wide it became their trading headquarters.

In the early 1900’s Sam Daube joined his brother, Dave Daube, and Max Westheimer, in their enterprise, known as the Blue front, and moved the store to this location. This firm was known as the Westheimer & Daube. Westheimer & Daube continued in business until 1937, when Sam and Dave acquired the Westheimer interest and the name was changed to Daube’s Department Store.

Daube’s survived two world wars, the Great Depression and has seen the plodding procession of carriages and wagons replaced by the bustling clamor of motor traffic.

The Daube Store was the cornerstore around which downtown Ardmore was built. The store witnessed the community’s growth to its current status as Oklahoma’s 14th largest city. The business closed in December 1990, after 102 as Oklahoma’s oldest privately owned family-operated independent retail store.

County: Carter County

Record Address::
107 East Main Street
Ardmore, OK USA
73401


Rate the Site:

Sponsor (Who put it there): Ardmore Main Street Authority

Web site if available: Not listed

Date Erected: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1 - Must visit the site in person.
2 - New Photo required.
3 - Give some new insight to the marker/site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Oklahoma Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.