George R Sims - New Port Richey, FL
N 28° 15.156 W 082° 43.197
17R E 331272 N 3126383
Quick Description: Located in sims Park/Orange Lake, this monument memorializes the cities founder who donated this land.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 3/22/2010 3:44:53 PM
Waymark Code: WM8EN6
George R Sims
Founder of New Port Richey
Sims Park (Bank Street & Circle Boulevlard), originally called Enchantment Park, honored George R. Sims, an early developer of New Port Richey who donated the land and clubhouse. Relocating to the area in 1922 from Great Neck, New York, he purchased impoverished property during the 1925-26 land boom. His wife, Marjorie, earned the first title of the 1922 Chasco Fiesta Queen in the first annual Chasco Fiesta, a fundraising event linked to a legend honoring Native Americans who once inhabited the area. The amphitheater at Simms Park, off Main Street has hosted numerous famous musicians, as well as two sitting U.S. presidents; Bill Clinton and George W. Bush and two vice presidents, Dan Quayle and Joe Biden.