Henry A. Landes House - Galveston, Texas
Posted by: BruceS
N 29° 18.400 W 094° 47.147
15R E 326566 N 3243286
Quick Description: Victorian house in the East End Historic District in Galveston, Texas
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 3/16/2010 7:33:00 AM
Waymark Code: WM8DAQ
Henry A. Landes House was built in 1886-87 for Henry A. Landes, a Confederate veteran and wealthy wholesaler, cotton factor and shipper who owned his own fleet. The two-story pressed brick house was designed by Houston architect George E. Dickey in an eclectic Victorian style with Romanesque details. During the hurricane of 1900 the house served as a safe haven for nearly 200 people.
In 1911 the house was bought by John P. McDonough, owner of a dry docks and ironworks. The house was acquired by an Order of Dominican Sisters and served as a fine arts annex to a high school for many years. The house was bought in 1970 by Fred T. Sanders who restored the house.