Victoria Battery Stamper , New Zealand
Posted by: willbuild
S 37° 24.762 E 175° 46.393
60H E 391436 N 5858637
Quick Description: Victoria Battery Stamper Foundations
Location: North Island, New Zealand
Date Posted: 3/15/2010 11:46:09 PM
Waymark Code: WM8D92
Victoria Battery Site
The Victoria Battery was erected by the Waihi Gold Mining Company in 1898 with 100 stampers installed by A & G Price of Thames. Water power was used initially from twowater race systems with a steam engine as an auxillary source. In 1902 a further 100 stampers, used to crush the quartz rock, were added making it the largest battery in New Zealand. Hydro-electric power was used after 1913 - bruoght from Horahora.
The Battery has a Criteria Category II , registered Historic Place with NZ Hsitoric Places Trust.
Remains of the Victoria Battery,
Erected in 1897 to crush quartz, the Victoria Battery was considered the largest and most advanced facility of its type in New Zealand. Today, a short walk from the Waikino Station Café takes you to the Victoria Battery Site, which has interesting onsite information.
"Waikino" is Maori and means "water in a gorge'
Gold mining around Waikino has a history dating back to early colonisation of New Zealand. Waikino was the focal point of Gold mining in the Waikato- Bay of Plenty district with the 1897 construction of the Victoria Battery on the edge of what was a busy town supporting the expansive local Mining industry. Waikinos Victoria Battery processed ore from the large Martha Mine in Waihi. The Victoria Battery was then New Zealand's largest Industrial Complex, besides processing ore, it supported carpenters shops, a sawmill and a foundry. With 200 stamps, the Battery was the largest quartz crushing plant for gold extraction in Australasia and was capable of crushing over 812 tonnes of ore each day to the consistency of sand. The loud thumping sounds of crushing rock could be heard 10 klms away.
Gorge Historic Walkway
The Karangahake Gorge Historic Walkway partly follows the old railway line between Paeroa and Waihi (closed in 1979), with the remainder of the track following the banks of the Ohinemuri River.
From the Waikino Visitor Centre, cross a footbridge to the Victoria Battery site, follow the old railway line to the Owharoa Falls/Taieri Stream confluence at Waitawheta Road (1 hour return).