By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Boston Store - Chicago, IL
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member adgorn
N 41° 52.990 W 087° 37.742
16T E 447809 N 4636996
Quick Description: Look south and up to see the old "Boston Store" sign painted high atop their former store building in downtown Chicago.
Location: Illinois, United States
Date Posted: 3/4/2010 6:30:10 PM
Waymark Code: WM8B2H
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member OpinioNate
Views: 7

Long Description:
Visible from Washington Street just east of Dearborn Street. It’s high atop the building located at the corner of Calhoun and Dearborn, but you need to go to the coords listed to be able to see it. This large building now houses Sears retail outlets on its lower floors, with address at 2 N. State Street.

# Construction finish: 1905
# Designed by: Holabird & Roche
# Renovated: 1917 by Holabird & Roche
# Renovated: 2001 by OWP&P and Daniel P. Coffey & Associates

From Jazz Age Chicago
(visit link)

"The Boston Store was founded by Charles Netcher, an upstart, young businessman who had moved to Chicago from Buffalo in 1869 at the age of seventeen. He initially worked as a cash boy and bundle wrapper with the Pardridge dry goods house. Shortly after the 1871 Fire, he became a partner in the outfit and soon thereafter bought out the other owners. He renamed the store as a marketing ploy, hoping the New England city's strong reputation in merchandising would add credibility to this own establishment. Before Charles died in 1904, the Boston Store expanded rapidly and soon occupied almost the entire half-block on the north side of Madison between State and Dearborn.

It was, however, Charles' wife, Mollie Netcher, who guided the store through its most successful years as a major Chicago department store. In the early days of the Boston Store, she had worked as a clerk and underwear buyer. She and Charles married in 1891. After her husband's death, Mollie skillfully transformed the old-fashioned dry-goods store into a first-rate, full-line department store, making it a leading competitor of Marshall Field's, The Fair, and Carson Pirie Scott.

The new Boston Store, built in phases between 1905 and 1917, was seventeen stories tall and had twenty acres of floor space. Its facilities included a post office, a Western Union office, a savings bank, a barber shop, a first-aid station, several soda fountains and restraurants, and an observation tower 325 feet above street level. A cigar factory on the seventeenth floor was capable of producing three million stogies a year. For the four thousand Chicagoans employed by the firm, there were private reading rooms, employee lunchrooms, and a full-sized tennis court on the roof.

By the late 1930s, business at the Boston Store had begun to decline and what had once been State Street's second-highest-grossing department store had slipped to seventh. During those years, little effort was made to modernize the store or the way it did business. Observers criticized the store's increasingly outdated appearance--some said it "reeked with a quaint Victorian mustiness"--and Mollie's refusal to develop suburban outlets or break with its traditional cash-only sales policies. The Boston Store closed in July of 1948. The 1917 building, however, still stands and underwent a complete renovation in 2001. The lower floors of the building now house a Sears department store."

The store may have closed 60+ years ago, but the sign continues to keep watch over Chicago.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Ghost Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.