Convent of the Sacred Heart - Rose Bay, Sydney, Australia
S 33° 51.827 E 151° 16.328
56H E 340171 N 6251604
Quick Description: The former Convent of the Sacred Heart in the Rose Bay area of Sydney is now part of the Kincoppal-Rose Bay School of the Sacred Heart.
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Date Posted: 2/15/2010 5:31:05 PM
Waymark Code: WM87QX
The following history is from the Kincoppal-Rose Bay School of the Sacred Heart
"Kincoppal-Rose Bay School is a member of an international group of schools conducted by the Society of the Sacred Heart, a Catholic teaching order, established by Saint Madeleine Sophie Barat in France in 1800. The Convent of the Sacred Heart, Rose Bay, was founded in 1882. Kincoppal was established at Elizabeth Bay in 1909. In 1971 the two schools were amalgamated and, today, Kincoppal-Rose Bay School comprises a fully co-educational Junior School for day students, and a Senior School for girls, with both day and boarding students."
"The original building, leased in 1882 and later purchased by the Society of the Sacred Heart, was a private home - Claremont, built in 1851. The first permanent school building, completed in 1888, was the five level central facade. The Chapel, a masterpiece of architect John Horbury Hunt, was begun in 1897 and completed in 1900. Buildings were gradually added to meet the needs of school, community and novitiate. The Secondary school was a full boarding school until the 1960's, when day students were admitted."
"The primary day school was located in the main school building until 1951 when an adjoining property, an Italian villa, was purchased. The building was set up as a primary school and named Barat-Burn. This building was demolished and replaced with the present Junior school in 1966."
"In 1982 the school celebrated the centenary of its foundation and the arrival of the first religious in Australia. To commemorate the occasion Sister Leila Barlow wrote and published "Living Stones", a book reviewing the spirit, tradition and events of the school's first hundred years. In 2007, the school celebrated 125 years of Cor Unum, highlighting its unique history, dynamic present and future visions."