By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

IOOF Building - Waxahachie Texas
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Geojeepsters
N 32° 23.092 W 096° 50.927
14S E 702361 N 3585132
Quick Description: This building is located at 208 South Rogers Street Waxahachie Texas.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 2/11/2010 7:40:45 AM
Waymark Code: WM8732
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member kbarhow
Views: 14

Long Description:
From the website: (visit link)




by Bruce Webb

The Odd Fellows lodge began in the mid 18th century as a fraternal benevolent society. Using the Three Chain Links and All Seeing Eye as emblems, with FRIENDSHIP, LOVE and TRUTH as watchwords, and ³Visit The Sick, Relive The Distressed, Bury The Dead, Educate the Orphan² as its motto.

The first recorded Lodge of Odd Fellows was Loyal Aristarcus Lodge, founded in 1745. It met above the Globe Tavern at Hatton Garden, England. The Odd Fellows are now called the Manchester Unity of Odd Fellows in England.

The Odd Fellows Lodge was first introduced to the United States by Thomas Wildey an English Odd Fellow. Washington Lodge No.1, Independent Order of Odd Fellows was instituted at Baltimore, Maryland in 1819.

The Odd Fellows first met in Texas at Independence Hall, Washington on the Brazos. Its first Grand Master was Anson Jones, the last President of the Republic of Texas. The first Odd Fellows Lodge in Texas was Lone Star Lodge No. 1, which was instituted on July 25, 1838 at Houston, by Jacob De Cordova.

Waxahachie Odd Fellows Lodge No. 80 was instituted by the Grand Lodge of Texas in 1859 but demised because of the Civil War. It was resuscitated a few years after the war as Lodge No. 129 on July 6, 1871, but it was changed back to No. 80 by permission of the Grand Lodge in 1872. There were seven Charter Members of Lodge No. 80. John T. King, O.R. Partain, James Smith, E.V.B. Sweatt, Lee Burchaim, S. H. Overstreet and C. R. Gibson.

The Waxahachie lodge first started meeting upstairs in the Kennedy building which was located on the corner of Water and Rogers streets. About 1873 they began to meet up-stairs over the old Texas Power and Light office in the center of the block. This structure was on the North side of the square on Main Street. In May 1883 they moved to the corner of Main and College streets to a rock and wood plank building (present site of the Kress-Penn building) where they met for a year.

Around 1884 the old rock building was demolished and the Lodge built a three-story Renaissance Revival building. The Lodge met on the top floor while Spalding Furniture and Undertaking operated on the first floor. The Lodge met there until, tragically, a fire destroyed the building. This occurred Sunday morning, Nov. 12, 1911 destroying all Lodge records, furnishings and regalia.

The lodge met in the Knights of Pythias hall on the corner of Main and Rogers for several months. Our current building on South Rogers Street (see above) was built in 1891 by the Texas Mortgage Banking Co. for their offices. The lodge purchased the building December 16, 1911. Lodge was first held in the building on March 29, 1912.
Location Details:

Date of construction: 1912

location website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
A unique picture, including yourself in the picture, or at least one with your GPS in the frame.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Odd Fellow Lodges
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
WalksfarTX visited IOOF Building - Waxahachie Texas 4/11/2016 WalksfarTX visited it
brassrose visited IOOF Building - Waxahachie Texas 9/13/2015 brassrose visited it
fd SCorpion visited IOOF Building - Waxahachie Texas 8/1/2015 fd SCorpion visited it
QuarrellaDeVil visited IOOF Building - Waxahachie Texas 8/21/2014 QuarrellaDeVil visited it
mom2kutternkaden visited IOOF Building - Waxahachie Texas 6/10/2010 mom2kutternkaden visited it
Geojeepsters visited IOOF Building - Waxahachie Texas 2/11/2010 Geojeepsters visited it

View all visits/logs