Ruines sur lîle Dowker / Dowker island's ruins
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Rase-mottes
N 45° 24.369 W 073° 53.576
18T E 586635 N 5028666
Quick Description: L'île Dowker sur le lac Saint-Louis/ Dowker island on lake Saint-Louis
Location: Québec, Canada
Date Posted: 1/25/2010 9:19:01 AM
Waymark Code: WM84A5
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member romantic29
Views: 136

Long Description:
Cette île fut concédée au gouverneur de Montréal, François-Marie Perrot, par l’intendant de la Nouvelle-France Jean Talon, le 29 octobre 1672, en même temps que L'Île-Perrot. D'après un procès-verbal de 1709 ainsi que les cartes du lac Saint-Louis dressées par les cartographes Jacques-Nicolas Bellin en 1744 et Murray en 1763, elle portait le nom Île Sainte-Geneviève. Aujourd’hui, elle est toujours dépendante de la municipalité de Notre Dame de L'Île-Perrot
Elle est présentement une île inhabitée ainsi qu’une réserve ornithologique sur le lac Saint-Louis au sud de Baie-D'Urfé. Leslie Rose Dowker acheta l’île en 1887, y construisit lui-même cette maison et y habita jusqu'à son décès en 1945. Depuis l’île a toujours été inhabitée. Leslie. R. Dowker possédait aussi un droit de passage du boulevard Lakeshore jusqu’à la rive (face à la rue Apple Hill) pour ses déplacements.
Le bâtiment passa au feu dans les années 1960.

On peut s'y rendre en kayak ou canot durant la belle saison ou en ski, et à pieds durant l'hiver. La distance entre le stationnement et à l'île est de 1 km.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This island was granted to the governor of Montreal, François-Marie Perrot by Nouvelle-France’s intendant Jean Talon, October 29, 1672, along with Ile Perrot. According to a report of 1709 as well as maps of Lake St. Louis compiled by cartographers Jacques-Nicolas Bellin in 1744 and later on by Murray in 1763, it was known as Île Sainte-Genevieve. Today, it is part of municipality of Notre Dame de-lÎle-Perrot.

Dowker Island is an uninhabited island and a bird sanctuary on Lake Saint-Louis south of Bay D'Urfé. Leslie Rose Dowker bought the island in 1887, he built himself this house and lived there until his death in 1945. Since then the island has been uninhabited. Leslie. R. Dowker also had a right of way from Lakeshore Boulevard to the shore (facing the street Apple Hill) for his displacements.
The building burned down in the 1960's.

The island can be reached by kayak or canoe during the summer or cross-country skiing, and on foot during the winter. The distance between the parking area and the island is 1 km.
Terrain:

Parking: N 45° 24.913 W 073° 53.371

Recommended access: N 45° 24.913 W 073° 53.371

Visit Instructions:
  • At least one own photo of the place is required.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Remains of Settlements
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point