President's House, College of William and Mary - Williamsburg, VA
Posted by: NorStar
N 37° 16.252 W 076° 42.492
18S E 348545 N 4126288
Quick Description: The President's House of the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA, is a Georgian house built in 1732 and is one of the three buildings on campus that survive from that era.
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 1/10/2010 4:09:35 PM
Waymark Code: WM81QZ
At the eastern end of the campus of William and Mary College in Williamsburg, VA, there stands three buildings that date back to colonial times. The building on the north side is the President's House, which has been used as the residence of every college president except for one.
The building ties in with both the Wren building and the Brafferton Hall, which were all built in colonial times. The builder was Henry Cary, Jr., who also built the Brafferton Building.
The first president was James Blair, who lived there until his death in 1743. Blair is largely responsible for the establishment of William and Mary College and brought back from England the charter, endowments, and the design for the building today known as the Wren Building.
The building was temporarily occupied by British Army General Cornwallis before moving on to Yorktown, and by the French Army as a hospital during the battle of Yorktown. During this time, a fire broke out and, though no one was injured from the fire, much of the inside of the building was destroyed. King Louis XVI repaired the building at his expense. In 1931, it was restored to its colonial appearance when Rockefeller was restoring many of the buildings in Williamsburg in what is now Colonial Williamsburg.
The building has been used to receive many dignitaries. These are listed on the William and Mary College web site. A partial list includes President George Washington, President Thomas Jefferson, President Dwight Eisenhower, Marquis de Lafayette, Queen Elizabeth, and Prince Charles.
XRoads (American Guide Series: Virginia - A Guide to the Old Dominion):