Old Jefferson Parish Courthouse - Gretna, LA
N 29° 55.022 W 090° 03.949
15R E 783293 N 3313211
Quick Description: Also known as the Gretna City Hall. Hall is located in the 200 block of Huey P. Long Ave, and is very picturesque.
Location: Louisiana, United States
Date Posted: 1/10/2010 3:12:32 PM
Waymark Code: WM81QQ
Building stands tall in Gretna, facing the Mississippi River at the Jackson Avenue-Gretna Ferry on Huey P. Long Ave. Was closed on my visit (saturday). The entire area was clean appeared to be a nice area. Lots of other sites to see in the area, from the Jefferson Memorial Arch, to the German Heritage Museum, the Gretna area is a fine place to visit and learn of German influence to the area.
There is alot of information found on the building in search, but the best comes from the State of Louisiana Register page, located here,
which states:The Gretna City Hall (Old Jefferson Parish Courthouse) is locally significant in the area of
architecture because its exterior articulation gives it the status of an architectural landmark within
the context of Jefferson Parish.
Excluding ecclesiastical structures, the Gretna City Hall is undoubtedly the most pretentious
50+ year old building in Jefferson Parish. It is a three-story Renaissance and Baroque style
structure, nine bays wide and eleven bays deep, with colossal pilasters, a colossal portico,
Corinthian capitals, grand colonnades, and a large curvilinear central mass. It stands in sharp
contrast to the parish's few surviving plantation houses, and to the low-scale frame cottages and
houses of Gretna, which is the parish's only old town. The parish also has a good number of old
commercial buildings, but they are small and unpretentious. In addition, the parish has a few large
50+ year old apartment buildings. But these are architecturally innocuous and do not feature the
level of high style treatment which characterizes the Gretna City Hall.
The Old Jefferson Parish Courthouse was erected in 1907 at a cost of $74,750. The
architect was R. S. Soule of New Orleans. The building served as the parish courthouse until 1956.
The 1907 portion has been leased to the city of Gretna since 1961. (The rear 1929 annex is leased
to the sheriff's department.)
200 Huey P. Long Ave
Gretna, LA USA
County / Borough / Parish: Jefferson
Year listed: 1983
Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering
Periods of significance: 1900-1924
Historic function: Government. Sub - Courthouse
Current function: Government. Sub - Courthouse
Privately owned?: no
Primary Web Site: [Web Link]
Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]
Season start / Season finish: Not listed
Hours of operation: Not listed
Secondary Website 2: Not listed
National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.