Ford Motor Company Plant - Highland Park Michigan
N 42° 24.615 W 083° 05.992
17T E 327211 N 4697463
Quick Description: All of Woodward Avenue was designated US 10, which extended northward along Dixie Highway. The Ford Motor Company Highland Park Plant is significant for being, among other things, where Henry Ford first began the mass production of automobiles.
Location: Michigan, United States
Date Posted: 1/8/2010 2:19:10 PM
Waymark Code: WM81AY
The plant was also the site where Ford instituted the "five dollar day," a generous wage for the time.
Detroit architect Albert Kahn designed the complex, which included offices, factories, a power plant and a foundry. In 1927, Ford shifted auto production to the River Rouge Plant in Dearborn, limiting Highland Park to truck and tractor manufacturing. The Highland Park Plant is a National Historic Landmark.
The Highland Park Plant was built between 1909 and 1920 on the lot bounded by Woodward, Manchester and Oakland Avenues, and three railroad tracks. An office building, a garage and several machine shops once stood on this portion of the site.
(taken from www.byways.org)
Significant Interest: Monument
Milestone or Marker: Other
Web Site Address: [Web Link]
15050 Woodward Ave.
Highland Park, MI USA