By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Ghost Coca Cola Advertisement - Camden, NJ
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
N 39° 55.182 W 075° 07.170
18S E 489787 N 4418851
Quick Description: While the rest of Camden burned, was torn town and razed, and neglected, this wonderful add from 1904 somehow survived, was left untouched and looks almost as it did 100 years ago. The origins of the building & its owners are painted on its side.
Location: New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 1/1/2010 12:35:14 AM
Waymark Code: WM801T
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member Jeremy
Views: 7

Long Description:

The businesses advertised all from 100 years ago! The advertisement is also for 5¢ coca cola. I did some research and ascertained coke was sold for this price at the turn of the 20th century when it was first introduced. The age of the ad was later confirmed from this website which tells about the original owners and types of business they ran. The names of the first two owners, Croker and Fenley are also painted onto the wall. Croker originally had the place and did the original advertisement. This was done about 1904. Fenley acquired the place in 1912 and added his name to the wall. The structure was originally called Croker's Tammany House and was/is located @ 1944 Broadway (Northeast Corner of Broadway & Jefferson Street).

The ad is on the left hand side of the building facing an empty lot, overlooking the 8th Ward World War II Monument. A huge factory is across the street from the 20s, the original fire station from the 1800s also across the street. To see this treasure is so surreal.

From the Aforementioned Website

The building at 1944 Broadway has an interesting history. It does not appear to have been used as a bar prior to 1903. It is known that James P. Croker was in business there in that year. By 1903 James P. Croker had moved his operation to 1944 Broadway, and at some point during his tenure as the owner of the building, he and the F.A. Poth Brewery, located around a short walk away at South 6th and Bulson Streets, got together to have the wall painted with the advertisements that still can be seen today. The bar was known as The Tammany House, and a social club, known appropriately enough as The Tammany Club, met there as well. James P. Croker was still in business at 1944 Broadway as late as 1912. His second wife, Catherine, died that year. The new proprietor of the saloon at 1944 Broadway was Walter Fenley.

The George Booz American Legion Post 274 acquired the property in the late 1930s from Mrs. Mamie Piraine. The Post changed its name to Memorial Post 274 in 1951. 1944 Broadway served as the post's home until it was sold in 2008. This building is also known as the Post-Tavern building.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Ghost Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.