"Edward B. Gridley House, 1886-87, 409 East Grove
The Edward B. Gridley House, a large two-story frame, is one of the finest examples of Queen Anne architecture in McLean County and is the most meticulously maintained 19th century structure in this vicinity.
Irregular in form, it exhibits every positive aspect of Queen Anne design, rich detailing in asymmetrical placement creating a pleasing whole. To describe the structure in depth would be to detail practically every product that wood, brick, and slate manufacturers were producing in that period. Set upon a full brick foundation which features some decorative brick panels, the essentially cubical plan house on its primary facade features a two-story turret to the east balanced by an open porch which wraps around the west side. This tends to disguise a two-story bay window set off center below a large and highly decorated gable. The porch roof has a steeply pitched gable to indicate the entry. Directly above the porch gable is a second story porch which undercut, but visually completes the large attic story gable. The roof itself is complex in forms and features a conical roof for the tower, a swept roof dormer and cross gables. The side of the house is predominately clapboard and features decorative belt courses and panels, fish scale shingling on the turret and diamond pattern shingling on roof gables. Turnings are used for the porch railing balusters, posts, and porch and window even curtains. The roof slating, which is very well preserved, consists of square, fish scale and diamond pattern shingles. The finials and ridge cups are sheet metal. Even the diamond pattern lattice work on the porch skirting is in high relief." - Historic District Nomination form