Jacksonville Masonic Temple-Jacksonville NC
N 34° 45.037 W 077° 25.872
18S E 277454 N 3848080
Quick Description: Located on 214--216 Old Bridge St. in Jacksonville NC. officially, when added to the NRHP in 1989, the structure is known as Bank of Onslow and Jacksonville Masonic Temple. LLa Fayette Lodge No. 83, A. F. & A. M. once occupied this temple.
Location: North Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 12/22/2009 1:14:39 PM
Waymark Code: WM7YC9
This Masonic Temple in Jacksonville, North Carolina takes up 1 acre and is comprised of two buildings. It is built in the Tudor Revival style with a touch of the Beaux Arts. The building was built in the beginning of the 20th century. Located in Onslow County, the building is used for governmental purposes today.
The following is an excerpt from a comprehensive history of the lodge found HERE
In 1919, the lodge formed a corporation know as the Jacksonville Masonic Temple Corporation. The corporation sold bonds and purchased a lot between the Heritage building ant the Bank of Onslow and built a three story building on the lot. The lodge, which had purchased bonds with the proceeds from selling their property, paid rent to the corporation as did all other organizations using the facilities. The upper story was used as a lodge hall and the two lower floors were used as rental units. This policy continued until 1941, when the Jacksonville Masonic Temple Corporation got into financial difficulties and defaulted in payment of its debts. The property of the Jacksonville Masonic Temple Corporation was sold at public auction and was purchased by Graham Johnson, Who used the ground floor as a drug store and rented LaFayette Lodge the upper store as a lodge hall until the present LaFayette Lodge Masonic Temple was built. The first meeting in the three story building on Old Bridge Street was held on April 21, 1920. Brother Fred W. Harget, Past Master, was extended the honor of presiding at this meeting. The last meeting was held at this location on may 17, 1955.