Fort Cobb - Fort Cobb, Oklahoma
Posted by: gparkes
N 35° 05.652 W 098° 26.156
14S E 551413 N 3883635
Quick Description: Two markers are located in Fort Cobb to celebrate the former garisons history. This one is located on the southern side in a turnout off Oklahoma State Highway 9
Location: Oklahoma, United States
Date Posted: 12/15/2009 10:22:27 PM
Waymark Code: WM7X26
Estabished Oct.1, 1859 by U.S. Troops under Major W.H. Emory as protection against raids of Plains Indians on Choctaws, Chickasaws, and on white emigrants moving west.
Evacuated May 5, 1861 by Union Troops and soon occupied by Confedrate forces under Colonel W.C. Young. Although sacked by hostile indians Oct. 23, 1862, held intermittently by Confederate commands until close of Civil War . Ruins rebuilt and regarrisoned by Federal units autumn 1868.
After Battle of Washita, Generals Philip Sheridan and George Custer moved command here Dec. 17, 1868. Chief Lone Wolf and Satanta held hostages until Kiowas submitted.
Mar. 12, 1869 Fort Cobb abandoned, troops moved to recently selected site which became Fort Sill.
Council between Five Nations and Plains Tribes here July 23, 1872
Oklahoma Historical Society 1960