26-15 St. James Rosenwald School
N 33° 37.282 W 079° 02.516
17S E 681635 N 3721894
Quick Description: Early 20th century African American school in rural SC.
Location: South Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 12/10/2009 8:41:13 AM
Waymark Code: WM7VZZ
ST. JAMES ROSENWALD SCHOOL
(Front) St. James Rosenwald School, which stood here from the late 1920s until the early 1970s, was one of several African-American schools in Horry County funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation. Rev. Smart Small, Sr. (1891-1961), assisted by Eugene Beaty (1889-1958), Dave Carr (1886-1992), Henry Small (1897-1999), and Richard Small, Sr. (1893-1950) led fundraising efforts.
(Reverse) The school, built in 1928 or 1929, was a five-room frame schoolhouse typical of the larger rural schools built by the Rosenwald Foundation between 1917 and 1932. It educated about 150 students a year in grades 1-10, with five or six teachers. St. James Rosenwald School had two principals: Eula G. Owens (d. 1971), succeeded by her husband, Boyd Williams Owens (d. 1981). It closed in 1970 after desegregation.
Erected by the Burgess Organization for the Advancement of Young People, Inc., 2005
Marker Name: ST. JAMES ROSENWALD SCHOOL
Marker Location: Roadside
Type of Marker: Building
Marker number: 26-15
A picture of the marker taken by you or specific details of the site.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.