By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Twiggs County Confederate Monument - Jeffersonville, Georgia
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Sprinterman
N 32° 41.204 W 083° 20.735
17S E 280088 N 3618990
Quick Description: Located across the street from the Twiggs County Courthouse in Jeffersonville, Georgia.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 12/1/2009 5:46:43 PM
Waymark Code: WM7TJX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 1

Long Description:
A Confederate soldier stands atop a tall square shaft, his proper right foot in front of his left, his hands positioned in front of him to hold a musket that is now partially missing. He has a moustache and wears a wide-brimmed hat. A bedroll tied around his torso and a bayonet scabbard hangs from his proper left side. A pine stump stands behind his proper left leg. The front of the shaft is adorned with a relief of a Confederate flag. The base rests on three steps which rest on a square brick foundation.

The inscription reads as follows:

Front of base:)
TO THE TWIGGS COUNTY SOLDIERS AND THOSE WHO
SACRIFICED ALL
TO ESTABLISH THE
INDEPENDENCE OF
THE SOUTH
1861-1865
(raised lettering:) IN MEMORY

(Back of base:)
ERECTED
A.D.1911
BY THE TWIGGS COUNTY CHAPTER
DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY

(Right side of base:)
FAULK INVINCIBLES
CAPT. E.S. GRIFFIN
26TH. GA. REG.
SLAPPEY GUARDS
CAPT. U.A. RICE
48TH GA. REG.

(Left side of base:)
TWIGGS VOLUNTEERS
CAPT. JAS. FOLSOM
4TH. GA. REG.
TWIGGS GUARDS
CAPT. JNO. BARCLAY
6TH GA.REG.

The monument commemorates the Confederate soldiers of Twiggs County, Georgia, and was erected by the Twiggs County Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. Originally, the monument was to be erected on the courthouse lawn, and a brick and concrete foundation was prepared for it there in 1911. However, a dispute broke out concerning the names of soldiers and military units to be inscribed on the monument, and a lawsuit ensued. The monument was ultimately erected at its current site, known in 1911 as Shannon's Meadow.

The above from (visit link)

This monument is in poor shape and needs immediate attention. It is located near a restaurant with a lot of vehicle and foot traffic. The base is deteriorating.

This monument is also listed on the Smithsonian Art Inventory.
Date Installed or Dedicated: 1/1/1911

Name of Government Entity or Private Organization that built the monument: BY THE TWIGGS COUNTY CHAPTER DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY

Union, Confederate or Other Monument: Confederate

Rating (1-5):

Related Website: [Web Link]

Photo or photos will be uploaded.: yes

Visit Instructions:

To log a visit, a waymarker must visit the monument or memorial in person and post a photo. Personal observations and comments will be appreciated.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest American Civil War Monuments and Memorials
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Sprinterman visited Twiggs County Confederate Monument  - Jeffersonville, Georgia 11/27/2009 Sprinterman visited it