Statue of Liberty Replica - Big Spring, TX
Posted by: condor1
N 32° 15.278 W 101° 28.414
14S E 266974 N 3571345
Quick Description: Sitting proudly and standing tall in front of the Municipal Auditorium in downtown Big Spring.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 11/29/2009 4:43:36 PM
Waymark Code: WM7T4T
In 1950, this replica of the Statue of Liberty was given by Mr. and Mrs. Tom Good, pioneer ranch couple, in memory of their son Jake who passed away in 1928, to the Boy Scouts of America. The statue was placed on the lawn of the City Auditorium in Big Spring, Texas. It was dedicated to the National BSA theme of "Strengthen The Arm of Liberty." This was the first such statue to be erected in Texas.
The dedication ceremony for this statue was held at 4:30 p.m. in the City Municipal Auditorium on April 28, 1950 in Big Spring, following a parade of more than 800 Boy Scouts and leaders from 17 counties.
The speaker at the dedication ceremony was Nat Shick, Buffalo Trail Council Public Relations Chairman. His words of wisdom were: "The statue will serve to recall to everyone the great ideals of freedom and democracy that this country of our has stood for since the signing of the Declaration of Independence. It is our hope that this exact replica will remind every citizen who see it that freedom is everybody's business, every day of the year." He went on to say that "As people drive through Big Spring on Highway 80 that each one may pause in humble humility before this symbol of Liberty and sincerely rededicate yourselves to the Democratic way of life."
Link to the West Texas Scouting History page giving more information about this Statue of Liberty. BSA Statue of Liberty
There are over 200 of these replicas in 39 states in the U.S. and several of its possessions and territories. The project was the brainchild of Kansas City businessman, J.P. Whitaker, who was then Scout Commissioner of the Kansas City Area Council. The copper statues were manufactured by Friedley-Voshardt Co. (Chicago, IL) and purchased through the Kansas City Boy Scout office by those wanting one. All were erected in the early 1950's by Boy Scout troops and others to celebrate Scouting’s 40th anniversary theme, "Strengthen the Arm of Liberty."