Battle of Irish Bend - (April 14, 1863)
N 29° 47.490 W 091° 30.004
15R E 644974 N 3296625
Quick Description: Civil War marker located on the Franklin, LA Courthouse grounds. One of five markers located on small strip of ground.
Location: Louisiana, United States
Date Posted: 11/23/2009 6:03:52 PM
Waymark Code: WM7QNK
Marker Text states:
Also called by the Confederates the battle of Nerson's Woods or Franklin. In the Teche campaign the Federals followed the retreating Confederates from Bisland. Units of the Federal army under Gen. C.C. Grover landed from transports on Grand Lake and were engaged by the Confederates under Gen. Richard Taylor two miles northeast of this site. Meanwhile other Federals under Gen. Godfrey Weitzel entered Franklin from the east, forcing Taylor to abandon his lines. A stubborn delaying action by Gen. A.A. Mouton enabled Taylor to cross Bayou Yokeley and march to Jeanerette up the old Iberia Road.
Marker Name: Battle of Irish Bend
Marker Type: Roadside
What does marker relate to?: Battle (war)
Parish: St Mary
Link to more information:: Not listed
Year Erected or Date Dedicated: Not listed
Please describe your visit to the marker location.
A photo is not required to log this cache but is encouraged, if possible.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.