Laurel Mill (circa 1850) near Louisburg, NC
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member PFF
N 36° 10.693 W 078° 11.431
17S E 752672 N 4007373
Quick Description: A mid-1800s, privately-owned water mill which is visible from the bridge over Sandy Creek in northeastern Franklin County, North Carolina.
Location: North Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 11/19/2009 7:17:00 PM
Waymark Code: WM7PVC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member The Blue Quasar
Views: 12

Long Description:
Laurel Mill dates from the mid-1800’s. The dam stretches between two large rock outcrops, and impounds water from Devil’s Cradle Creek, Flatrock Creek, and outlets from several farm ponds. (The combined flow becomes Sandy Creek below the dam.)

The dam does not appear to have much height when viewed from the road, causing one to wonder how much force could be generated. However, the power for a water wheel is not a function of the water’s flow. Rather, it is the weight of the water in the wheel’s “buckets” which produces energy.

The mill’s owners are Ann and Bobby House. Prior to October, 1999, the owners were William and Margaret Holmes. The site consists of seven acres (Franklin County Parcel 012129) on the north side of Laurel Mill-Centerville Road (SR1436), at the intersection with Jones Chapel Road (SR1432).

Laurel Mill is not open to the public. However, it can be viewed (and photographed) from the bridge over Sandy Creek, as well as from the road on the east and west banks. The structure was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 1975.

DIRECTIONS: From US-401 in Louisburg, take NC-561 east for several miles. Turn left onto Laurel Mill Road at the sign pointing to Laurel Mill School. At the intersection with Jones Chapel Road, bear right, across the bridge. The mill will be immediately on the left.

From the mill, SR1436 continues eastward, through gently rolling hills, and rejoins NC-561 near Centerville. Along the way, it passes lovely farms, several old homesteads, and Perry’s School which dates to 1927, but which ceased being an educational facility in 1990.

Current Status: Still In Use

Current Use: Historic building

Visit Instructions:
Provide a picture of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Water Mills
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
archway visited Laurel Mill (circa 1850) near Louisburg, NC 6/19/2010 archway visited it