Carnegie Library — Balclutha, New Zealand
Posted by: Dunbar Loop
S 46° 14.423 E 169° 44.385
59G E 402839 N 4878471
Quick Description: Built in 1913 the Carnegie Library, today the Balclutha Branch of the Clutha District Library System, is one of two original Carnegie Libraries that operate as borrowing libraries today.
Location: South Island, New Zealand
Date Posted: 11/5/2009 5:12:21 PM
Waymark Code: WM7KP3
The Balclutha Branch of the Clutha District Library System uses the original 1913 structure to operate from. Having been extensively added to in 1987, the 1913 portion of the library looks the same as it did on the day it opened.
Having started with a £1,000 grant from the Carnegie Foundation, it suffered from some serious issues. The basement kept flooding, the roof leaked, and the building remained unheated. By 1933 the council purchased a £5 stove. It did not heat up the space. So 1934 they fixed the ceilings and installed a heating system.
With the introduction of television to the Balclutha region in 1962 the library staff actively informed residents that "free membership of your public library" was available.
Today this is one of two Carnegie library buildings in New Zealand that continue in its original function. The other is on the North Island at Marton.
Many thanks to the staff at the Balclutha library for obtaining research information about their fantastic building.