Information from (visit link
Walmart Opens Neighborhood Market in Largo
New store offers customers big savings with grocery format
LARGO, Fla, July 8, 2009 – Walmart opens a Neighborhood Market in Largo July 22, with a 43,554-square-foot store designed to offer a quick and easy shopping experience. Doors to the new store will open at 8 a.m., Wednesday, July 22, following a 7:30 a.m. ceremony. The store is conveniently located at 13817 Walsingham Road, near the intersection with Indian Rocks Road.
The Largo Neighborhood Market is an anchor in the newly redeveloped Barclay Square shopping center. During renovations, Walmart added environmentally friendly fixtures to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. Nearly 200 skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store.
“We are excited about the opening of the new WalMart Neighborhood Market in the southwest part of town. It is wonderful to have new jobs created in these tough times and to have a bright spot in all the bad economic news,” said Largo Mayor Patricia Gerard. “We have already met with the store manager to discuss how this store can contribute to our community and we know that they will be great corporate partners for years to come.”
Fresh Foods and Familiar Brands
Designed as a convenient family shopping center, the Walmart Neighborhood Market will provide the local community another destination for groceries at the Walmart value price. The store will carry a full line of groceries, including fresh produce, frozen foods, meat and dairy products and organic items. For those on the go, the deli offers hot rotisserie chicken, made-to-order sandwiches, hot dogs and pizza by the slice. The deli also offers a wide variety of meats, cheeses and freshly prepared foods. Customers can pick up cakes, freshly made pastries and breads in the bakery. The store will also carry a full selection of liquor, beer and wine, accessible through a separate entrance.
“With our smaller format, our store is perfect for those on the go. Whether they’re stocking up or need to pick up just a few items, our customers will be able to find what they need quickly and easily,” said Store Manager Jim Nelson. “Our customers will be able to find familiar brands and local products at great values, right in their own neighborhood.”
Shoppers will find everything they need for a fun-filled day at the beach or on the water, including meals-to-go, snacks and drinks. With its location one mile from Indian Rocks Beach, the store will also carry a selection of beach gear, including towels, chairs, ice chests, goggles, and beach toys for all ages.
Customers will also appreciate the convenience of the store’s pharmacy, along with a full selection of health-related products and a health and beauty area. Additional areas include stationery, paper goods, pet products and hardware items. Customers can also print their own digital photos at the store. The store will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Store Provides 110 Local Jobs
The Neighborhood Market plans to employ approximately 110 associates. Several associates have transferred to the new store from existing Walmart locations, including approximately three who have worked for the company for more than 10 years.
“Walmart provides job opportunities and career choices for everyone from seniors looking for supplemental income to young people wanting to gain work experience,” Nelson said.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
As part of Walmart’s commitment to the communities in which it operates, $14,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation will be presented during the grand-opening celebration. The following organizations will each receive funds to support programs that serve the community: Largo Citizens’ Academy, Indian Rocks Christian School, Largo Police Department, Boley Centers for Behavioral Healthcare, Teen Tyme Productions and Largo/Mid-Pinellas County Chamber of Commerce Education Fund.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7:30 a.m., July 22
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. Rev. Jeff Parish, senior pastor of the First Baptist Church of Indian Rocks, will offer an invocation, and members of the church’s choir will perform the national anthem. Soldiers from the St. Petersburg Army Reserves will present the colors. Mayor Gerard, other officials and business leaders are expected to attend. Throughout the day, customers will be able to enjoy character appearances, product samples and giveaways.
Every week, millions of customers visit Walmart Stores, Neighborhood Markets, and Sam’s Club locations across America or log on to its online store at www.walmart.com. The company and its Foundation are committed to a philosophy of giving back locally. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) is proud to support the causes that are important to customers and associates right in their own neighborhoods, and last year gave more than $296 million to local communities in the United States. More information about Walmart can be found by visiting www.walmartstores.com. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.com.
* An invitation-only open house for grant recipients and other VIPs is scheduled from 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. Tuesday, July 21. It will include preview tours and check presentations to representatives of community organizations. Reporters and photographers are welcome.
* Store Manager Jim Nelson is available for interviews and to arrange photo opportunities or tours. He can be reached at 727-593-9294.
Largo Neighborhood Market
* Location: 13817 Walsingham Road, Largo, Fla.
* 43,554-square-foot Neighborhood Market by Walmart
* Store opens at 8 a.m. Wednesday, July 22, following a 7:30 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony
* Store manager: Jim Nelson
* Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
* Full line of groceries including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions, meat and dairy products, fresh produce. Liquor, beer and wine will be available for purchase.
* Convenience services include a pharmacy and digital photo processing kiosk
* $14,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation to the following area organizations
o Boley Centers for Behavioral Healthcare
o City of Largo Citizens’ Academy
o City of Largo Police Department
o Indian Rocks Christian School
o Largo/Mid-Pinellas County Chamber of Commerce Education Fund
o Teen Tyme Productions
* Store plans to employ approximately 110 associates
* The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Florida is approximately $11.47 per hour*
* Walmart benefits – available to eligible full- and part-time associates – include health insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers a 401(k) plan and profit sharing contributions, whether an associate contributes or not, store discount cards, company performance-based bonuses, stock purchase program and life insurance
* Average wage taken May 2009. See www.walmartstores.com for details.
For more information
• Store manager: Jim Nelson, 727-593-9294.
• Walmart information online: www.walmartstores.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com