Ft. William Henry Harrison- Helena, MT
N 46° 37.313 W 112° 05.686
12T E 416184 N 5163728
Quick Description: Ft. Harrison was first garrisoned with troops in 1895. During WWII, it saw the birth of the First Special Service Forces. Today it is home to various units of the MT Army and Air National Guard and Reserves.
Location: Montana, United States
Date Posted: 10/21/2009 4:05:45 AM
Waymark Code: WM7FZQ
The original post headquarters, officier's quarters and other facilities were built where the current VA Hospital is located. During World War II, the construction of new facillites took place where the present-day base lays.
The "Fort," as it is refered to locally, is now home of the Montana National Guard's Joint Forces Headquarters, 95th Troop Command, 208th Regional Training Institute and 1049th Firefighters, as well as a Naval Reserve training facility and Veterans Administration Hospital.
Other points of interest include: The Montana Military Museum, the Medal of Honor Memorial Grove, numerous historic buildings from the 1940's, the Marshall Field Drop Zone, a PX, Service Club, and several static displays of military vehicles.
Era: WW II
At the current Threat Condition, The public is allowed on post with a valid form of identification. Please speak with one of the guards at the main gate before taking pictures of the post sign.
Related web site: [Web Link]