Fire Station Number 4 - Columbus, Indiana
Posted by: BruceS
N 39° 13.428 W 085° 52.053
16S E 597752 N 4342223
Quick Description: Modern style fire station in Columbus, Indiana.
Location: Indiana, United States
Date Posted: 10/15/2009 4:33:25 AM
Waymark Code: WM7EQN
Fire Station Number 4 was built in 1964. The station was designed by renowned architect Robert Venturi. The building has two nearly equal aides, equipment side and living/storage side with the hose drying tower between. The building's front is faced with white glazed brick and the sides are faced with plain brick, the plain brick extends on to the front face.
From Wikipedia: "Robert Charles Venturi, Jr. (born June 25, 1925 in Philadelphia) is an American architect and founding principal of the firm Venturi, Scott Brown and Associates. Robert Venturi and his wife and partner, Denise Scott Brown, are regarded among the most influential architects of the twentieth century, both through their architecture and planning, and theoretical writings and teaching. Venturi was awarded the Pritzker Prize in Architecture in 1991. He is also known for coining the maxim "Less is a bore" as antidote to Mies van der Rohe's famous modernist dictum "Less is more"."