Francisco Pellicer - St. Augustine, FL
N 29° 53.762 W 081° 18.790
17R E 469764 N 3307306
Quick Description: A blue plaque recognizing Francisco Pellicer is located in front of his former home on historic St. George Street in St. Augustine, Florida, USA.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 10/12/2009 10:52:33 AM
Waymark Code: WM7E29
The blue plaque for Xavier Lopez Pellicer was created as part of The Great Floridians 2000 Program. According to the Florida Department of State website about this program (visit link)
: "The Great Floridians 2000 program was designed to recognize individuals who distinguished themselves through their philanthropy, public service or personal or professional service, and who have enhanced the lives of Florida's citizens. In 1998, the Florida Department of State and the Florida League of Cities, to help celebrate the approaching turn of the century, initiated the program to dedicate a special series of commemorative plaques in cities throughout the state. These plaques recognized "Great Floridians 2000" by honoring men and women who made significant contributions to the history and culture of our state."
"Anyone could nominate an individual to be designated a Great Floridian 2000 by submitting a Great Floridians 2000 application. These applications were periodically reviewed by the appointed Great Floridians 2000 Committee, a group of seven distinguished historians from throughout Florida. The applications included the listing of an historical property where the plaque was affixed that was associated with the Great Floridian. Once the decisions were made, nominators were notified and advised on how and where to purchase the commemorative plaque."
The following is a biography of Francisco Pellicer posted on the Great Floridians 2000 Program website (visit link)
: "Francisco Pellicer was born in Minorca around 1747. He was 21 when he left Minorca and landed in New Smyrna. After entering into a partnership, he and Jose Peso de Burgo bought a lot on St. George Street in St. Augustine where they built a house. Pellicer was one of only a dozen carpenters in St. Augustine and prospered. He bought land on present-day Orange Street and sold his house on St. George Street. Later he moved his family to a larger farm south of St. Augustine on the Matanzas River. Today the creek and the surrounding area bear his name, Pellicer Creek. His house on St. George Street has been reconstructed and bears his name. Francisco Pellicer died c. 1820. His Great Floridian plaque is located at the Pellicer House, 53 St. George Street, St. Augustine."