Rock Island Railway Station - Owatonna, Mn.
Posted by: iconions
N 44° 05.214 W 093° 13.872
15T E 481490 N 4881550
Quick Description: This bronze marker on a large limestone rock is located on 300 block of Riverside Drive.
Location: Minnesota, United States
Date Posted: 10/10/2009 8:37:54 PM
Waymark Code: WM7DRW
Text of the Marker:
Rock Island Railway Station 1901
Owatonna, Minnesota 1985
Once on this site there stood a beautiful red brick and limestone railway station that was part of the great Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway System. It was a stately building that served our community and the Rock Island System proudly for over 60 years. Its' demise was premature and unfortunate; however' its' importance and historic legacy is secure. It was an invaluable contributor to the growth and history of all of Owatonna and Steele County.
Built around 1900, it served as both a passenger and freight depot. It saw men and women off to serve their country in World War I, World War II, the Korean conflict and Vietnam. Some inevitably saw their families here for the last time. It was the site of several Presidential visits, including Taft, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Truman, and Eisenhower. It was a gathering place to a myriad of people traveling to destinations all over the United States. Open at all hours of the day, every day of the year it always provided warmth and security to many a weary traveler.
It is for these reasons that we erect this monument to commemorate this site and remember the people that passed through its' doors on their life's journeys and also to honor the people that were a part of the great Rock Island Railway System.
Our heartfelt thanks to our contributors:
The Owatonna Foundation
Owatonna, Clinton Falls, and Northern Railway System
Steele County Historical Society
Martin's Cycling and Fitness
The City of Owatonna
Southern Minnesota Construction Company
Owatonna Chamber of Commerce
Rock Island System
Marker Type:: Roadside
A photo of the 'Marker' or 'Plaque' is required to identify the location, plus a picture of the 'Historic Site'.