Anderson, Neil P., Building - Fort Worth, Texas
Posted by: txoilgas
N 32° 45.074 W 097° 19.951
14S E 656214 N 3624939
Quick Description: The Neil P. Anderson Building carries architectural significance and it has been important to the commerce of the city for eighty three years.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 10/3/2009 3:58:41 PM
Waymark Code: WM7C4A
from the building website.
The building, the land it occupies, and the men involved represent a vertebra in the backbone of Fort Worth’s past.
The original owners of the land were founding fathers willing to cast their lot with a small colony of people huddled together at the forks of the Trinity River. Those who built the building were men with roots in the frontier town’s past and faith in her future.
Mitchell Baugh was the first man to claim the land on which the Neil P. Anderson Building is located. The original Land Grant Certificate was issued to him on May 7, 1850 and states that Baugh was entitled to 320 acres of land as he immigrated to Texas and entered the Peters Colony. He signed the certificate with his mark—an “X”. Before the General Land Office issued the patent or final title for the land, Baugh sold it, on December 10, 1852 to Middleton T. Johnson.
Colonel M. T. Johnson is well known to all buffs of Fort Worth history. A lettered and gracious man, he was, at least in part, responsible for locating the site of Fort Worth.
The acreage he owned in Fort Worth very likely influenced his feelings for the city. It is possible he held the land for twenty years. He might have sold the Baugh land. His children might have inherited it. Nothing is certain concerning the plat. A courthouse fire in 1876 destroyed most county records and transactions regarding the parcel of land went up in smoke.
In July, 1977 a group of private investors calling themselves 411 Co. Ltd. Bought the building narrowly blocking the issuance of a demolition permit at City Hall. General partners in 411 Co. were Ogden Kelly Shannon, III and Charles W. Rogers. Limited partners were W. A. Hudson, II and Bass Brothers Building Company. They restored the exterior while updating the interior and modernizing it to meet the demands of the business community.
In late 2000, the building was purchased by a Dallas investment group, which is a unit of Trammell Crow Company. In June of 2004, the building was purchased for restoration and conversion to luxury condominium homes by an investment group led by MC Smith Interests.
411 w 7th
Fort Worth, Texas USA
County / Borough / Parish: county
Year listed: 1978
Historic (Areas of) Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
Periods of significance: 1900-1924
Historic function: Commerce/Trade
Current function: Commerce/Trade
Privately owned?: yes
Primary Web Site: [Web Link]
Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]
Season start / Season finish: Not listed
Hours of operation: Not listed
Secondary Website 2: Not listed
National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.