Freedom Of Conscience - St. Mary's City MD
N 38° 11.324 W 076° 25.949
18S E 374551 N 4227725
Quick Description: The statue was erected in 1934 on Maryland's 300th anniversary in St. Mary's City, site of the state's first settlement where freedom of religion was established and men and women of different faiths lived in peace and with freedom of conscience.
Location: Maryland, United States
Date Posted: 9/23/2009 10:45:35 AM
Waymark Code: WM79G3
The first settlement of Maryland called St Mary's was established in 1634 when Leonard Calvert led approximatedly 150 settlers across the Atlantic Ocean from England to escape the persecution and conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants.
The statue was commissioned and paid for by the counties of Maryland in celebration of St. Mary's City's religious tolerance and freedom of conscience.
It was created by a Baltimore sculptor, Hans Schuler. In his own words, as quoted from the historical marker on site, it “represents the liberation of the spirit that had for so long been bound by intolerance. ... The torch represents the flame that kindled this fire of religious freedom throughout the world.” His sculpture depicts a man looking towards the heavens with a relief of a torch and flame and the words 'FREEDOM OF CONSCIENCE' at the bottom. On the back of the statue is this inscription:
A GIFT TO THE
STATE OF MARYLAND
FROM THE COUNTIES
TO COMMEMORATE THE
OF ITS FOUNDING
It stands within a small garden made of native species and called BayScapes. The American flag flanked by the Maryland state flag and the St. Mary's County flag fly overhead.