Charles Goodyear statue - Akron, Ohio
N 41° 04.803 W 081° 31.039
17T E 456545 N 4547772
Quick Description: Charles Goodyear statue in small downtown Akron park, adjacent to courthouse.
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 9/23/2009 6:07:54 AM
Waymark Code: WM79F0
A figure of Charles Goodyear, dressed in long pants, a vest, a jacket with tails, and wearing full sideburns, stands with his proper right hand extended out in front of him holding a piece of rubber, while his proper left hand hangs by his side. Behind the figure and base are three large slabs of granite forming a background.
Sculptor: Walter Russell (1871-1963). Dedicated Feb. 23, 1939.
On front lower left of self base: (Artist's monogram)/WALTER RUSSELL Sc. On rear lower left of self base: BASKY FOUNDRY.N.Y. On bronze plaque on front of base, raised: CHARLES GOODYEAR/WHO MADE RUBBER USEFUL TO MANKIND/WHEN IN 1839, HE DISCOVERED THE/PROCESS OF VULCANIZATION/PRESENTED TO THE CITY OF AKRON/FEBRUARY 23, 1939, BY THE/GOODYEAR TIRE & RUBBER COMPANY/P.W. LITCHFIELD, PRESIDENT signed Founder's mark appears.
Charles Goodyear (1800-1860) was an American inventor and manufacturer. He is noted for discovering the process of vulcanization. Though he never visited Akron, the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company was named in his honor.
You must have visited the site in person, not online.