Bellefield Presbyterian Church - Pittsburgh, PA
Posted by: Go Boilers!
N 40° 26.600 W 079° 57.398
17T E 588484 N 4477487
Quick Description: Presbyterian Church located near University of Pittsburgh.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 9/11/2009 7:17:10 PM
Waymark Code: WM771W
On November 24, 1801, the congregation was organized.
A church building was built in downtown Pittsuburgh in 1851. With growing attendence, the decision was made to move from downtown Pittsburgh to Oakland with the groundbreaking being held on May 11, 1898 and the cornerstone was laid July 23, 1898. Land was purchased from the Schenley family.
Only the 1889 bell tower from the former Bellefield Presbyterian Church is all that remains in front of the University of Pittsburgh's Bellefield Towers building which is located about two blocks east of the Church's current location at the corner of Bellefield and 5th Ave. Frederick John Osterling was the architect of this church.
"In 1967, the Bellefield Presbyterian Church merged with and moved to the First United Presbyterian Church at Fifth and Thackeray, which adopted its name. The old church was dismantled in 1985 except for its tower, which still stands."
Source: (visit link
Two Worship Services - During School Year
Traditional worship at 8:30am
Contemporary "blended" worship at 11:00am
One Worship Service in the Summer
Blended Worship at 10:00am