White Deer Land Museum ~ Pampa, TX
Posted by: YoSam.
N 35° 32.113 W 100° 57.656
14S E 322223 N 3934167
Quick Description: The main building is the old offices of the White Deer Land Company. But the museum has expanded into the buildings next to and behind, with new connecting corridors.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 8/25/2009 9:04:39 AM
Waymark Code: WM730G
This building was built in 1916.IN SPECIAL RECOGNITION
County of Museum: Gray County.
Dedication Plaque for Expansion:
ARTHUR AND RUTH ANN
Who made possible the Holland Wing of the White Deer Land Museum through their generious gift. This building was dedicated October 15, 1995. The museum is also tgrateful to these contributors: David D. and Nona S. Payne Foundation, Inc.
Inez B. and H.E. McCarley Foundation Trust
M.K. Brown Foundation, Inc.
Gray-Pampa Foundation, Inc. WHITE DEER LAND COMPANY BUILDING
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places
by the United States Department of the Interior.
On this building is a Texas historical Commission Marker.
Text of that Marker: WHITE DEER LAND BUILDING
Erected in 1916
Houses property records of the White Deer Land Company (1886-1957), one of the strongest commercial influences in settlement of the Texas Panhandle.
Organized from wreckage of the bankrupt Francklyn Land and Cattle Company - whose chief stockholder was Lord Rosebery, Prime Minister of England - the White Deer Company developed during widespread British speculation in Texas cattle and ranching, 1870s-80s.
At its beginning, the London-financed and Wall-Street-Based Trust owned land equal in area to the state of Rhode Island. These 631,000 acres lay in Gray, Roberts, Carson, and Hutchinson Counties.
The Company (Managed by George Tyng, T.D. Hobart, C.P. Buckler, and M.K. Brown) surveyed the land, laid out farms and ranches, sank wells, built hundreds of miles of wire fence, and aided civic projects. During the disastrous drouth of 1910, it made available to local farmers $100,000 in loans to buy wheat seed.
Upon discovery of oil on White Deep land in 1921, the firm made vast gains by retaining half of the mineral rights on remaining land sold. It was liquidated in 1957. This building has also housed a Masonic Lodge, Post Office, medical and dental offices, and has accommodated religious services.