Fort Pemberton Park Memorial - Greenwood, MS
Posted by: Truly Jones
N 33° 31.853 W 090° 14.030
15S E 756884 N 3713570
Quick Description: Memorial commemorates the Battle of Fort Pemberton on March 11, 1863 when the Confederates were able to deny General Grant access to Vicksburg via the Yazoo River. Marker erected by the City of Greenwood upon receipt of land from the Pillow family.
Location: Mississippi, United States
Date Posted: 8/4/2009 5:43:39 PM
Waymark Code: WM6Y7C
Site Marker (front):
Fort Pemberton Park
In the 1863 Campaign against Vicksburg, General Grant tried several approaches, one being to send troops on transports down the Tallahatchie and Yazoo Rivers. He cut the Mississippi River levee in February which flooded the several bayous between the Mississippi and Tallahatchie Rivers, making a navigable connection. Twenty-two transports (with 5000 troops), two ironclads, two rams and six light draft gunboats made up the first expedition, which was later reinforced with another brigade and additional vessels. It took several weeks to make the two hundred mile trip as the bayous were narrow and tortuous.
Apprised of the Federal plans the Confederate General John C. Pemberton ordered a fort to be constructed to block the enemy forces. The engineers selected a location where the Tallahatchie makes an abrupt turn easterly, the river flowing to this point in a straight stretch. There being room for only two gunboats abreast, thus the Confederates would be shooting down a straight alley. The fort was hastily built of cotton bales covered with earth, and named Fort Pemberton. It had but a few light guns, but one an eight inch rifle, was very accurate. The fort was manned by 1500 men under command of Brig. Gen. W.W. Loring. cutting the levees had flooded the area and the only approach to the fort was by water. To further impede the enemy the steamship "Star of the West" was sunk in the channel.
The Federal Flotilla arrived at Fort Pemberton on March 11th, and the two ironclads attacked at 1000 yards, but both were damaged after several attempts to reduce the fort. The Federal fleet retired to the Mississippi. Grant had failed to reach Vicksburg by the Tallahatachie-Yazoo route.
Part of the fort is included in the park and some of the original breastworks may be easily recognized.
Site marker (reverse): Erected by LeFlore County Board of Supervisors
O.B. Landrum District 1 James D. Green District 4
W.J. Lipscomb District 2 James M. Hooper, Jr. District 5
W.L. Kellum District 3 R.C. McBee Attorney
N.L. McCool Clerk
Date Installed or Dedicated: 01/01/1958
Name of Government Entity or Private Organization that built the monument: LeFlore County Board of Supervisors
Union, Confederate or Other Monument: Confederate
Related Website: [Web Link]
Photo or photos will be uploaded.: yes
To log a visit, a waymarker must visit the monument or memorial in person and post a photo. Personal observations and comments will be appreciated.