Indian Tower - Nazareth, PA, USA
N 40° 44.841 W 075° 19.394
18T E 472712 N 4510761
Quick Description: The Indian Tower is at the highest point in the original 5000 acres of Nazareth, PA
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 7/25/2009 4:34:25 AM
Waymark Code: WM6VRA
From the Blog : (visit link
The Indian Tower sits at the highest point of the original 5,000 acres in Nazareth. The original structure was a pavilion called "the Summer House" built in 1867 by John Jordan, Jr. He later donated $200 to the Moravian Historical Society to replace the pavilion with the present-day tower, which was completed in 1916. The Indian Tower is commonly thought to have been used as a lookout for hostile Indians. In actuality, the Indians had been removed from Pennsylvania long before the tower was built, and it received it's name because of the Indian Graveyard it overlooks. This tower has been used for many purposes over the years: as a Civil Defense Lookout in WWII, as a repeater station for emergency services, and always to rest and reflect.
You can see most of the Lehigh Valley from the Indian Tower.
The reason it is called the Indian Tower is because it is built in the Indian Graveyard. This is the sight of Nazareth's first Moravian graveyard, called "God's Acre", in use from 1744 to 1762. Erroneously thought to be the burial ground of the Indians from the nearby village of Welagamika, there are actually only 4 Indians buried here. Robert Haas created this American marble monument, dedicated by the Moravian Historical Society in 1867, at the same time the original pavilion was constructed. This monument is inscribed with the names of the 67 Moravians, including the 4 Indians, who are buried here.
A better Blog that is worth exploring, called "Weird Nazareth":
An unsual short film emphasizing the weirdness can be found at: