LAST -- Colonial Barracks Structure - Trenton, NJ
N 40° 13.193 W 074° 46.106
18T E 519702 N 4452188
Quick Description: The Old Barracks Museum, also known as Old Barracks, serves as an educational center for Colonial and American history, and are the only remaining colonial barracks in the country.
Location: New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 7/23/2009 11:21:23 PM
Waymark Code: WM6VJF
This is now a learning museum in which workers wear period uniforms and educate visitors about colonial history and The Revolutionary War. It is just around the corner from the State Capitol building.
The Old Barracks Museum in Trenton, originally built in 1758 to house troops during the French and Indian War, is best remembered for its role in the 1776 and 1777 Battles of Trenton during the Revolutionary War. The Old Barracks was first opened as a museum in 1902 by a group of patriotic women who purchased the building and enlisted the help of several patriotic societies to help run the operation.
There is an historic marker which reads:
Built in 1758 for British troops of the French and Indian War. Hessians were quartered here before the Battle of Trenton.
Open daily 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Discount admissions for senior citizens, students & children
Closed Thankgiving, Dec. 24-25, Jan.1 and Easter
S. Willow Street
Trenton, NJ 08608