21-25 Hopewell Presbyterian Church
N 34° 07.706 W 079° 37.408
17S E 626932 N 3777251
Quick Description: Presbyterian church history in rural Florence County.
Location: South Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 7/22/2009 7:29:01 PM
Waymark Code: WM6VAW
HOPEWELL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
This church, organized ca. 1770, is the first Presbyterian church in what is now Florence County. Many of its founding families came to S.C. from Scotland and Ireland. The first church here, a frame building, stood across Old River Road with the church cemetery around it, but burned soon after it was completed. The second church was replaced by this Greek Revival church in 1842, with its two-story portico, gallery, and original pews. Darlington (1827), Florence First (1861), and Effingham (1906) are daughter churches of Hopewell. The church and cemetery were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.
ERECTED BY THE CONGREGATION IN MEMORY OF MRS. W.M. (LYDIA) GREGG, JR., 2008
Marker Name: Hopewell Presbyterian Church
Marker Location: Roadside
Type of Marker: Building
Marker number: 21-25
A picture of the marker taken by you or specific details of the site.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.