By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Fort Dinwiddie
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Sneakin Deacon
N 38° 04.845 W 079° 50.724
17S E 601261 N 4215403
Quick Description: This historic marker stands on Route 39, west of Warm Springs, Virginia
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 7/21/2009 12:12:07 PM
Waymark Code: WM6V25
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member flyingmoose
Views: 3

Long Description:
Fort Dinwiddie once stood near the Jackson River, west of Warm Springs, Virginia. The fort was built in about 1755 to protect settlers on Virginia’s Western Frontier. We know that Fort Dinwiddie and several other fort located in the Jackson and Greenbrier River Valleys were visited by George Washington the spring and summer of 1755.

This historic marker is located on Route 39 about 4-miles west of Warm Springs, Virginia. The text of the marker reads:

FORT DINWIDDIE
"Known also as Byrd’s Fort and Warwick’s Fort, probably built in 1755, it was visited in that year by George Washington."
Marker Number: Q-5

Marker Title: Fort Dinwiddie

Marker Location: Route 39, 4-miles west of Warm Springs

County or Independent City: Bath County

Web Site: [Web Link]

Marker Program Sponsor: Conservatin & Development Commission - 1927

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Virginia Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.